Friday, December 12, 2008

FWD from Week 15 discussion

I have a funny story to mention as I prepare my final paper. Prior to
moving to the valley and attending CSUN, I used to be a supervisor
at a Starbucks in upscale Brentwood. I would serve coffee to the most
elite of industry professionals (such as the Governator, Spielberg,
Toby Maguire, Afleck, ect. ect.) and other top real estate junkies,
doctors and lawyers ALL making over 100k a year. My tiny coffee
shop was located under a pilades studio, yoga, fitness gym, and
rapid rehab establishments, so the area was basically infested with
women and men, obsessed with increasing (or keeping) their image.
This is kind of funny in regards to our last Bordo discussion in that
weird classroom, because after the first year, Botox, plastic
injections and breast augmentations were a common thing,
especially if the women were in the industry or married into it. I
found even the teenage daughters of these high class individuals
had some sort of nip tuck done in order to fall into mommy's
footsteps. I used to take my little cigarette breaks and would over
hear some of the most absurd of the conversations. Women would
plan out an entire years worth of plastic work done in communal
meetings at the Le Pain Quotidien. Some would even condemn
other desperate, rich housewives if they hadn't had any work done.
I always had something to laugh at, being one of the few consumers
in the area who made less then 10 grand a year.
It's pretty ridiculous how consumers can become sucked
into their own environment, and put under extreme expectations and
stress. I'm sure they didn't realize that they were all becoming
"stepford wives" of the like, but then again, I don't think they
cared.
It's just like back in high school. I would buy the 100$ pair of
nikes because all of my peers had them and I wanted to fit in.
Brentwood and many other elitist communities work in the same fashion.
If your not driving the newest Porshe, Benz or Beamer, you better get
one or you'll be cast out just like that school kid nobody talks to.
If you're married to one of the highest grossing Producers in
Hollywood, and your age shows the stress, you can't afford to look
"normal" because it could actually be detrimental to your wallet
and/or your career, so stretch out your face like the lady from
"Brazil". This theme has always confused me up the wazoo. In fact,
after two years in that slice of material heaven, I even began
to re-evaluate my own image and identity in response to my customers.
That was when I knew I had to leave, and I think it was the best
choice I had ever made. I guess it's a great experience if you want
to see the lifestyles of the rich and famous, but if you ask me,
it's more of a prison than a haven.

No comments: