Thursday, November 20, 2008

FWD from Week 10 discussion and Response to Bisexuality in the City

It's about a week or so after these postings, but I just felt I had to respond to this discussion...even if it is out of order of discussion. I grew up in the Bay Area, specifically, San Jose about 15 minutes South of San Francisco. I grew up with a lot of gay and bisexual friends, and in that area, homophobia can actually get you more damaged than than actually being gay or lesbian. That being said, many of my friends over the last few years have had official same-sex wedding ceremonies, and I find it puzzling that Prop. 8 will actually allow the weddings prior to the election valid, but make them illegal after the ban. I think that might be the most absurd bit of information I have ever heard, and it might be perfect example of why Prop 8 should be illegal in the first place. On another note, I don't think weddings are really capitalistic, but do agree with Jessica's comment that divorces are, especially marriages founded on prenuptual agreements of high class society. Kinda reminds me of that flick with George Clooney and Catherine Zeta Jones, "Intolerable Cruelty". It's quite amusing because it satires how common most marriages are used in American society as stepping stones for riches and wealth, regardless of the emotion involved in a marriage. This could also be seen with actors/actresses and media symbols, ironically marrying their costars and fellow colleagues as PR and more profit. Once again, I don't think marriages are exactly capitalistic, but marriages within a capitalistic society pretty much make the sanctity of marriage
irrelevant.

No comments: